You've asked a good question that deserves a straightforward answer: The Bible, the only source of absolute divine authority, will inform you of God's mind and will for your life (2 Timothy 3:16-17). That is surely reason enough to study God's Word.
The Qualities of God's Word
You can do a quick, informative study of the Bible right now. Just match the following statements about God's Word with the verses listed below.
- The Bible is infallible in its totality
- The Bible is inerrant in its parts
- The Bible is complete
- The Bible is authoritative and final
- The Bible is totally sufficient for your needs
- The Bible accomplishes what it promises
- The Bible provides assurance of salvation
- Revelation 22:18-19
- John 8:47; 20:31
- Psalm 119:89
- Psalm 19:7
- Isaiah 55:11
- Proverbs 30:5-6
If any of the above words are new to you, here are a few definitions you might find helpful:
- Inerrancy: The Bible is free from error in all it affirms.
- Infallibility: The Bible is unfailing in its purpose.
- Sufficiency: The Bible contains all needed information for Christian living.
- Authority: The Bible carries the right to prescribe beliefs and actions.
The Benefit of Knowing God's Word
The Bible remains the only source of divine revelation and power that can sustain you as a Christian in your walk with God. Note these significant promises in the Scripture.
The Bible is the source of:
- Truth: "Sanctify them by Your truth; Your word is truth" (John 17:17).
- God's blessing: "But He said, 'More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it'" (Luke 11:28).
- Victory: "...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" (Eph. 6:17).
- Growth: "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Pet. 2:2).
- Power: "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek" (Rom. 1:16).
- Guidance: "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" (Ps. 119:105).
For further help in your study of God's Word, check out John's audio series, How to Study the Bible, or his study Bible, The MacArthur Study Bible.
You may reproduce this Grace to You content for non-commercial purposes in accordance with Grace to You's Copyright Policy (https://www.gty.org/connect/copyright).